Christ Church, Salfords - 1881 to 1967
Christ Church was originally a mission church from the Parish of Horley and was built in 1881 at a cost of £500.00, between 1891/2. The church was further developed at a cost of £300.00. by John Maple's son, Sir John Blundell Maple Between 1881 and 1935 there were eight different Curates in Charge but in 1935 Salfords became a Conventional District and the following year Christ Church had its own Parish Priest.From 1936 to 1955 four Parish Priests served their time at Christ Church. In 1952 an Order in Council made Salfords ''A Legal District'', a Parish in everything but name.The reason behind this ecclesiastical oddity was that the old building was proving unsuitable to sustain the role of being a Parish Church. Thus after Fr Peter Lewis arrived in 1955 it was not surprising that by 1958 the Parish were involved in building a new church of their own. Nearly all the work was carried out by volunteers most of who knew nothing about building work but were prepared to help. Sadly, Fr Peter Lewis died in 1965 before the work was completed. Fr Michael Nicholls arrived in 1966 but this was a daunting task as the dedication of the new church was scheduled for October 1967.